2023 Asphalt Overlay Project
As you have driven through the city, you may have noticed road work taking place in various areas. The city has contracted with a contractor to repave multiple streets throughout the city over the next month or so. The process is as follows:
Two maps have been prepared based on a tentative schedule the contractor provided. The first map lists the tentative schedule for the milling operation and a second map for the tentative paving schedule. These schedules are very dependent on weather and other factors. The contractor will provide notice to the door of affected residents with the final schedule. This is the largest paving project in the history of Alpine City with a cost of over $1.6M. Thank you for your patience while the city streets are being improved.
- Step 1: Lower manholes and valves (you may see small areas with gravel or newer asphalt within the street). This will allow the milling machine (step 2) to pass over them.
- Step 2: A milling machine will grind off some of the old asphalt to provide an even profile for the new asphalt overlay. This process moves quickly, which normally allows for at least one way traffic to continue.
- Step 3: The paving crew will place a new asphalt surface on the street. With this process, your street will likely be shut down for the day and you will not be able to get in and out of your driveway.
- Step 4: A crew will come back and raise all manholes and valves to the proper grade and pour concrete rings around them.
- Step 5: New striping will be applied where applicable, including crosswalks.